Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

cg at myrias.UUCP cg at myrias.UUCP
Sat May 24 06:38:51 AEST 1986

Jim @ Strathclyde missed the point about the DataLight compiler running
faster on an IBM PC-AT than the standard BSD compiler does on a VAX. The
result is not a comparison of machines, but a comparison of compilers. What
contortions the compiler goes through is irrelevant - how long it takes and
how good the resulting code is are what's important. We all know that most
UN*X C compilers are hogs! I will re-iterate the question that was asked:
Why aren't there any decent C compilers provided with UN*X systems? (Perhaps
there are, and I just don't know about them. By decent I mean that they give
meaningful error messages, never crash or abort, generate good code, and
run quickly.)