Who are Tartan Labs?

Eric Werme werme at alliant.UUCP
Thu May 1 15:11:24 AEST 1986

In article <1415 at homxb.UUCP> gemini at homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>I have seen bits and pieces of references to Tartan Labs.
>Could somebody tell me what their product line is, etc.

Apologies for not being super-specific,  but Tartan Labs is a spinoff
from Carnegie-Mellon University.  The people include several compiler
people who have much experience writing highly optimizing compilers
(they designed and imlplemented BLISS). One is a C for VAXes.

The reason I'm posting this is that they also produced a book entitled
"The C Reference Manual" that is a wonderful compilation of information
on C that any serious user or compiler writer should have next to K&R,
especially if they are interested in portable code.  The book covers
all sorts of weird cases that you just can't answer from K&R.  Available
in better bookstores on the East and West coasts.