questions from using lint

Ben Cranston zben at umd5.UUCP
Sat May 3 09:38:25 AEST 1986

In article <219 at aplvax.UUCP> ded at aplvax.UUCP (Don E. Davis) writes:

>In article <*> Root Boy Jim writes:
>>You people fail to realize that some of us out here don't like lint.
>>It complains too much about what I do. ...

>I know several excellent programmers who never use lint.  ...

Hmm, I remember a certain Cobol compiler that had an 'E' option to generate
error messages - because it generated such a quantity of informational
diagnostics but its users wanted "clean compiles".  I can see Cobol types
complaining about this, but US?

I'll be perfectly happy when I can understand what lint is saying to me,
and convince myself that it is just being paranoid.

Dare I suggest this: a filter for lint output that only lets the real bad
errors through?  Dare I suggest THIS: that it would be easier if every line
from lint had an identification tag like this:

BCD325I: Bad C construct at line 2543342

(No, No, anything but EBCDIC!)

--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben at umd2.umd.edu
                          ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben