expression, expression;

KW Heuer kwh at bentley.UUCP
Tue May 27 04:47:36 AEST 1986

In article <892 at ttrdc.UUCP> ttrdc!levy (Dan Levy) writes:
>I think there may be at least one good reason NOT to do this ...: for
>debugging.  If you have code which is giving mysterious core dump problems,
>Murphy's law says sdb or adb will show the problem occurring on a line with
>multiple statements on it ...

Well, what *I* do is look at the *instruction* where it bombed, rather than
the statement.  Of course, for less sophisticated users (or when using a
too-smart debugger that won't disassemble) that may not be an option.  This
brings up an interesting question, though.  Given that the language is
almost completely free-format, why should a debugger be line-oriented rather
than statement- or expression-oriented?  (Probable answer: it's trivial to
"point to" a line.)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint