questions from using lint

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat May 24 04:31:59 AEST 1986

> Yes, I know you said "sometimes re-doing", but that is often impossible,
> under the press of circumstance.

The press of circumstance must be firmly resisted if it's going to lead to
shoddy work.  I agree that there is considerable incentive to get things
close enough to correct that major revision at the last minute isn't needed.

> ... Beyond a certain minimum size, design/code/debug is faster than
> code/debug.

Ah, but is design/code/debug/release/withdraw/revise/really-release faster
than code/debug/try/code/debug/release? :-)  More seriously, I do acknowledge
the need to have some idea of where you're going before you set out to
get there.  And the degree of advance planning needed is indeed a function
of project size.  But getting where you're going and then discovering that
you really want to be somewhere else should be treated as a predictable
part of the development process, not as a rare and surprising exception.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry