questions from using lint

VLD/VMB gwyn at BRL.ARPA
Thu May 1 21:38:28 AEST 1986

Re: "lint" not being as smart as Root Boy Jim

That's really silly.  I write C code such that I expect absolutely
NO warnings from "lint" (except for malloc pointer type-cast, which
is unavoidable at present); then if I get any "lint" warnings, they
indicate BUGS that must be fixed.  This is tremendously helpful.

I find that there are very few "inherently nonportable" applications.
Even when an application is designed to use specific hardware,
portable programming techniques contribute to better code quality.

Lint-free coding comes naturally after a bit of practice.  I find
it no burden at all, and hardly have to think about it.  Indeed,
it helps organize my use of complicated data types so that I get
the code right (and portable!) the first time.