questions from using lint

#Bill_Stewart wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Thu May 8 12:22:43 AEST 1986

In article <183 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>One of the more traumatic things about being exposed to unix after working
>with numerous other systems was that the stupid c compiler refused to give me
>a nice clean listing with source, interspersed error messages, and optional
>object code.  I'm not dumb, but trying to learn a debug a big program though
>a 24-line window and my memory just doesn't make it...

One of the more traumatic things about programming an IBM System-34 in RPG2
was that you got the listing whether you liked it or not.  We had the slow
printer, so my 10-page program took 45 minutes to compile, including
cross-references, overlay maps, ....  If we'd had the fast printer it would
have taken about 20.  Then we got the box of cheap paper which jammed the
printer a lot, and I almost wanted my keypunch back.....   (The system 34 was
a desk-sized beast with 48K of core and a 13 Meg disk.  Can you say "wimp!"?)

If you get a fancy enough emacs package, you can have your C listing
on-screen; otherwise you'll have to use somebody's pretty-printer, and hack in
error message support.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs