questions from using lint

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr
Tue May 20 07:42:15 AEST 1986

	> You people fail to realize that some of us out here don't like lint.
	> It complains too much about what I do. I refuse to go any further
	> than generating no compiler warnings. I know what I'm doing. When I
	> goof, I'll fix it myself. I refuse to add extra casts to keep lint
	> happy.
	>
	> Before you start flaming my style, let me say I am quite good.
	> I am also quite philosophical and attentive to coding style.
	> My outlook is just different. I program for myself. If it is applicable
	> to you, fine. I have my own criteria which I rarely see embraced by
	> others waving standardization flags.
	>
	> Most of the code I have written was intrinsically non-portable. I *do*
	> appreciate portability as a spectrum concept, but not as a binary one.
	>
	> This is just me. I'm not sure I would recommend my methods to anyone
	> else, especially novices. My experience was obtained with more than a
	> few battle scars. There are probably easier ways.
	>
	> 	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>
	> 	"I'm alright, Jack, keep your hands off of my stack"

	Sorry I enclosed so much of the original article above, but I found it
	so surprisingly bizzare, I just couldn't leave any of it out.  I have
	two things to say about it: 1) I'm glad that Mr. Cottrell doesn't work
	here; 2) I'd never recommend him being hired as a programmer, anywhere.
	--
	++------------------------------------------------------------------++
	||  Greg Paris    {allegra,linus,raybed2,ccice5,brunix}!rayssd!gmp  ||

Where's the rest of me? I sent out a flame with this, but it must have
disappeared. Oh well, here it is:

For all of you who have ROT13 software, you will know what to do with this:

			Tb Shpx Lbhefrys!

And for those of you who don't like my spelling, at least it's deliberate.
This cretin doesn't even know how to spell `bizarre'.

Buddy, I forgot more than you'll ever know.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>
	"One man gathers what another man spills"