questions from using lint

Mark DeWitt dewitt at cca.UUCP
Thu May 8 00:34:37 AEST 1986

In article <> garys at bunkerb.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
>In article <475 at snow.warwick.UUCP> kay at warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>>In article <7097 at cca.UUCP> dewitt at cca.UUCP (Mark DeWitt) writes:
>>>After three years of C programming I'm just starting to use lint, so
>>>please no negative reinforcement by flaming about how stupid my questions
>>>are, lest I give up on it entirely :-).
>
>>Mark, I'm not flaming you, but I *am* worried!...
>
>And well you should be.

I would like to thank the above and other contributors who have kept this
discussion on a non-judgmental, rational plane.

I would also like to point out that there is more than one way to learn
portable coding style.  Using lint and avoiding the messages it produces
is one way.  Having to (gasp!) port other people's code yourself is
another way.  Of my first six months of C programming, a good four months
were spent porting "working" C code from the IBM PC to the Apple II+ / IIe,
including graphics and floating point applications.  Blech!  It was
painful, but I sure as hell learned a lot of what NOT to do if you want
to write portable code.  Most of my trouble with lint has not been with
having to change my coding style, only with getting it to shut up.
--
"We like your attitude, but what are you doing?"