lint

James R. Van Zandt jrv at MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
Fri May 9 12:30:17 AEST 1986

>> I'm aware of four lint-type programs for checking C code on an MS-DOS machine:
>>
>> PC-LINT   Tecware                              $ 99
>> PC-Lint   Gimpel Software                      $139
>> Pre-C     Phoenix Computer Products Corp.      $395
>> Lint      Wizard Systems Software, Inc.        $450  (bundled with compiler)
>>
>> Can anyone report experience with these or others, or point to
>> published reviews?

All the responses but one were requests for information.  Here's the one:

> We are using the Wizard C compiler and BSD 4.3 to develop a large
> (~150,000 lines) system that will run under UNIX and MS-DOS.  The Wizard
> compiler reports intra-module errors and warnings.  The lint option
> will create a lint library and do inter-module checking.  Overall the
> Wizard system catches the same errors that the BSD lint catches and
> often reports more warnings.  The whole package is well worth the price
> (especially since you get library sources and can get an update service

from Wizard).

> --
> Brad Davis      {ihnp4, decvax, seismo}!utah-cs!b-davis
>                 b-davis at utah-cs.ARPA

Now I'm trying to decide whether (1) nobody else has buggy C code, (2) nobody
else wants to ADMIT to having buggy C code, or (3) lint is hazardous, and
few users survive :-).

                              - Jim Van Zandt