double (*parray[15])[];

Sam Kendall sam at delftcc.UUCP
Thu May 29 05:03:27 AEST 1986

In article <367 at dg_rtp.UUCP>, throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
> (I will note that, despite the H&S quote above, the legitimacy of the
>  (*)[] declaration with unknown size is not totally clear, but most
>  compilers and typecheckers side with me on this.)

So does K&R.  If anybody wants to argue with me on this, I'll find the
section number.  Basically, the statement on empty brackets is this: in
a sequence of contiguous `[ ]' pairs, only the first `[ ]' can be
empty.  But nowhere is it stated that the empty brackets have to be the
first type modifier.  So `type (*)[]' is okay.

----
Sam Kendall			{ ihnp4 | seismo!cmcl2 }!delftcc!sam
Delft Consulting Corp.		ARPA: delftcc!sam at NYU.ARPA