The cost of large uninitialized static/global arrays

Ed Nather nather at ut-sally.UUCP
Fri May 30 00:31:59 AEST 1986

In article <842 at hoptoad.uucp>, farren at hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) writes:
> In article <2810 at utcsri.UUCP> petera at utcsri.UUCP (Smith) writes:
> <<  A whole lot about executables in MS-DOS which have vast numbers of
>     zeros embedded in the file >>
>
>     If you're using Microsoft C, or the Microsoft Macro Assembler, you
> might like to look at the EXEPACK utility [...]

If you're using Microsoft C you don't get global arrays full of nulls
anyway.  I have a program with a global array of 20000 characters plus a
lot of code.  The executable is 10K in size.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin