A replacement for curses (Re: Abusing `curses' WINDOW structure)

Jeff Lee jeff at gatech.EDU
Mon Nov 3 22:49:16 AEST 1986

>>The Vr3 curses was made much faster, and you should see how slick (fast and
>>small!) the Vr3.1 version of curses is. When this version of curses becomes
>>available, I can see no reason for wanting to write one's editor on top of
>>anything else.

>Availability.  Basing software on AT&T curses limits the distribution
>range quite seriously (especially in the academic world, I suspect).

Not to mention the stupid licensing that ATT is attempting with the Vr3
releases that should further limit the distribution of the Vr3.1 release
of curses. The licensing reads something like if you include ANY part of
Vr3 then your product has to conform to the entire SVID release 3.

Am I mistaken or do they keep trying something like this? There were initially
stupid pricing policies for Honey DanBer and no educational discounts for
the DMD software (it still cost us $1000 educational for DMD). Unix is liked
by a lot of people but ATT is a long way from being IBM. If I am wrong I am
sure that SOMEONE will correct me.

	Enjoy,
--
Jeff Lee