Casting void - int question

Wayne Throop throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP
Tue Nov 4 08:38:33 AEST 1986

> chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek)

> The cast is correct, but the 4.1 and 4.2BSD compilers misunderstand
> void functions.  `void' types in these compilers tend to cause all
> sorts of internal indigestion.  This is a bug.

Exactly right, of course.

> Lint should note the cast as non-portable.

99 and 44/100 percent right.   The *cast* is portable.  But invocation
of a function via a cast pointer to a function of differing type is not.
Of course, lint may not be able to catch such subtleties easily, and the
cast itself might be an appropriate place to warn.

--
"Greater nits have little nits, upon their backs to bite 'em.
 And little nits have lesser nits, and so ad-infinitum..."