sizeof(char)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Nov 7 12:44:10 AEST 1986

In article <126 at olamb.UUCP> kimcm at olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
>Why not take the full step and let the datatype char be of variable size,
>like int's and other types. Then invent the datatype ``byte'' which is exactly
>8 bits long.

When fully elaborated to address the related issues, this idea differs
from what I have proposed in only two fundamental ways:
	(1) no support for smallest addressable chunk sizes other than
		8 bits;
	(2) introduction of a new keyword, one likely to be in heavy
		use in existing carefully-written C code.