Must casting destroy lvalueness?

John Sambrook john at uw-nsr.UUCP
Sat Nov 1 03:42:26 AEST 1986

In article <144 at cartan.Berkeley.EDU> desj at brahms (David desJardins) writes:
>In article <4038 at umcp-cs.UUCP> chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>In article <55 at cartan.Berkeley.EDU> desj at brahms (David desJardins) writes:
>>>... the point is that casts of pointers *don't* convert.
>>
>>Yes they do, and Wayne Throop has to know it:  His machine does
>>indeed convert.  `char *' is 48 bits; `int *' is 32 bits.  DG
>>machines use word pointers, except when dealing with bytes.
>
>   My apologies; I misspoke.  What I meant to say is that casts of pointers
>refer to the same physical locations, although the representations of pointers
>of different types may be different.
>
>   -- David desJardins

Just a small correction.  On the MV series both types of pointers are
32 bits.  It is also true that character pointers have a different
format than pointers to other types.  Casting from one type to the other
on the MV series requires a conversion.

--
John Sambrook                           Work: (206) 545-7433
University of Washington WD-12          Home: (206) 487-0180