Calculating the length of a year

Bob Devine devine at vianet.UUCP
Sat Nov 15 06:17:51 AEST 1986

In article <267 at bms-at.UUCP>, stuart at bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
> The years 4000, 8000, . . . are not leap years!

  I, too, was certain that I had read years divisible by 4000 are
not leap years.  However, after several people replied with "are
you really sure?" letters, I checked.  My findings were that it is
likely that someone did once make that suggestion but it has never
been formally agreed to.  I never found my recollected source.

  While it is true that the Gregorian rule results in not quite a
tropical year (see a previous posting by me, or send mail for info)
it is entirely acceptable for the next 1000 years.  Who knows what
will happen in that millenium.

Bob Devine