pointers to arrays

Kenneth R. Ballou ballou at brahms
Thu Nov 20 10:13:19 AEST 1986

In article <1138 at genrad.UUCP> rep at genrad.UUCP (Pete Peterson) writes:
>In article <273 at bms-at.UUCP> stuart at bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>>I am still confused about several things concerning pointers to arrays.
>>There does seem to be such a type, even in K & R.
>>1) How does one get such an animal?  The only methods I can figure are
>>	a) a cast: ( type (*)[] ) array_of_type
>
>		You could declare:
>		char *(linesptr)[81]; /*declares linesptr to be a pointer to
					81 element arrays of chars. */
No, it does not!  It declares linesptr to be an array containing 81 elements,
each of which is a pointer to char.  Perhaps you meant to write
		char (* linesptr) [81];

--------
Kenneth R. Ballou		...!ucbvax!brahms!ballou
Department of Mathematics	ballou at brahms.berkeley.edu
University of California
Berkeley, California  94720