sizeof(char)

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Mon Nov 24 16:40:05 AEST 1986

In article <3853 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs at eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>In article <9116 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>>The MicroVAX-II supports the *bit field instructions of the VAX*.  This is
>>*not* the same as supporting "bit addressing".
>In the general sense, no, but you can move any string of up to 32 bits
>from any bit boundry in memory to any other.

I'm surprised Guy didn't jump on this (or did we just miss it?).
The Vax EXTV/EXTZV and INSV (and CMPV/CMPZV) instructions go
between an arbitrary string of 0-32 bits and a byte-aligned
longword of 4 8-bit bytes.  Not the same as any 0-32 bits to
any 0-32 bits.  If I want to move bits 4-19 of word 10 to bits
5-20 of word 14, I'd have to do an EXTZV/INSV pair, clobbering
a longword somewhere in memory (or a register) as a temporary
holding place.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)