Why are typedef names in the same name space as variable names?

Bill Wohler wohler at sri-spam.istc.sri.com
Tue Nov 18 16:22:41 AEST 1986

In article <2183 at sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> bruss at sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Russ) writes:
>	If [typedefs and variables] weren't in the same name space,
>	you could, in addition to the above, write:
>
>	struct foo { /* ... */ };
>
>	foo foo;
>
>	Yuch!  Do you really want/need this flexibility?  In my opinion,
>it's better the way it is now.

  i haven't thought of an example which would necessitate having
  typedefs and variables in the same name space.  it is very common
  to have:

struct foo {...};
struct foo foo;

  thinking of different names for the structure and the variable
  becomes difficult when we just hack and don't expand our
  vocabulary reading faulkner or didion. ;-)

						--bw