segments and Unix

Paul Czarnecki pac at munsell.UUCP
Fri Nov 21 05:15:53 AEST 1986

In article <13802 at amdcad.UUCP> phil at amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I'd like to propose something here. Have you ever spent a few days
>tracking down a bug caused by writing beyond the bounds of an array
>and trashing a vital data structure which only gets noticed many
>cycles later? Strings, of course, are arrays.

The Safe C Runtime Analyzer written by Alan Feuer* of Catalytix Corp.
does functionally what you want to do here.  As I understand it, it is
a preprocessor which does checks for all sorts of nasty C mistakes and
prints on standard error notification that this occured.  It is only
meant for debugging, not production code.  It exacts about a 5 times
penalty in performance.  Contact, Catalytix Corp., (617) 497-2160 for
further information.

[disclaimer] Although I have no financial interest in Catalytix, I did
used to work for a company which used to remarket Catalytix products
and I still have friends at both companies.

* Author of The C Puzzle Book

					pZ
--
			    Paul Czarnecki -- Eikonix, Corp. -- Bedford, MA
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz