Expression sequencing query

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Thu Oct 16 09:43:03 AEST 1986

In article <559 at cubsvax.UUCP> peters at cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
>One of the attractions of C is its elegance and conciseness of
>expression; having to declare a variable only for the purpose of
>defining order of evaluation, even when the expression is extremely
>simple, is inelegant and inconcise, ....

I wrote a nice long reply to this, but it fell into the news rubbish
heap because the `active' file was too long.  Naturally the posting
software did not bother to keep a copy of my text, since inews
never fails.  Right.  Summary: if you think C needs something to
force evaluation order, *implement something*.  Test it well.  If
it works, *then* lobby for its adoption.  If, for example, you
think altering the meaning of parentheses will not be harmful, try
it.  If you prefer `order bracketing' such as `[a + b] + c', try
that.  But whatever you try, TEST IT WELL before you cast it in
concrete (via X3J11 or whatnot).