"If it has a bug, it isn't 'C'"

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Mon Oct 6 10:03:49 AEST 1986

In article <1215 at bunker.UUCP>, garys at bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
>In article X, someone (doesn't matter who -- I think several
>people have done the same thing) writes:
>>Then it isn't a C compiler...
>This is rapidly becoming one of my pet peeves.  It seems that it is
>with increasing frequency that I see comments to the effect that if
>a C compiler has a bug, then it isn't a C compiler.  This is pedantic;
>by that reasoning, there isn't a C compiler in the world, and probably
>never will be.  Why not just say, "Your compiler has a bug," instead
>of, "Your compiler isn't a C compiler."
>My compiler has a "feature."
>Yours has a "bug."
>His isn't even C.
>Gary Samuelson

That peeves me, too, as being an overly sarcastic comment, even if spoken by
a Guru.  Guy Harris has made this comment several times if memory
serves me right.  I have not noticed any others making the comment that
"it isn't a C compiler."  Don't expect Guy to reply to this message (I
think I'm in his kill file).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy