Expression sequencing/\"standards\"

throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP
Sat Oct 18 06:56:24 AEST 1986

> rbbb at rice.edu (David Chase)
>> throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)

>> I find that the Three Holy Documents of C (K&R, H&S, the draft ANSI
>> standard) are a little muddy on this point,

> If the "standard language definition" is ambiguous, then it isn't a
> definition.  Have them clean up the definition.  In this case, having an
> answer is much more important than which answer you have.

If you can find me a definition of *anything* (in English, of comparable
complexity to a general purpose computer programming language) which is
unambiguous, then I'll eat the manual this description printed in.
Applying this overly rigid restriction on the meaning of "definition", I
doubt you can find a "definition" of any programming language at all.

However, in a suitable diluted form, I agree with David's point.  On the
other hand, I do think that progress is being made.  H&S is clearer than
K&R on this point, and the draft ANSI C standard is clearer still.

--
Perfection must be reached by degrees;
she requires the slow hand of time.