functions that don't return

karl at haddock karl at haddock
Wed Oct 1 02:25:00 AEST 1986

hadron!jsdy (Joe Yao) writes:
>Using 'return' from main() is the preferred way to exit according
>to System V lint (which complains otherwise).

The reason is simply that lint doesn't know about exit() -- it's just another
function as far as it knows.  The warning is not in any way an endorsement
of return over exit, as lint will be equally happy if you put a goto at the
bottom of main() and call exit() in the middle somewhere.

>I've preferred it myself, for years before, because I've viewed exit() as a
>glitch in a smooth mental model of the invocation and return of routines.

I used to prefer return for the same reasons (actually I preferred exit()
before that, because it works even if your local crt0 ignores the result of
main -- as ours did for a while).  Now I've reverted to exit(), because I
consider it a better model for error handling: "fprintf(stderr, usage); \
exit(1);" is more meaningful to me than "... return (1);" and won't break
if the code segment moves into a subroutine.  At the bottom of main(), I now
tend to use exit() again (throwing in a /*NOTREACHED*/ and cussing under my
breath), for reasons I can't explain well.

There are three possible models for the crt0/main interface:  main() could be
int ("exit(main())"), void ("main(); exit(0)"), or dead ("main(); HALT").  I
kind of like the last idea; it requires the user to explicitly call exit(),
but it makes all main programs equivalent.  (Including those which neither
return nor exit, for which the declaration "int main()" looks silly.)