C Review

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sun Jan 18 14:13:52 AEST 1987

This reviewer is a loser, demand his/her/its credentials.

Someone thought the reviewer must be a hopeless academic, I find it
hard to believe any academic would disparage use of terms like
'lvalue', more likely the opposite, also the obsession with "very few
professional programmers know about..." sounds more like an industry
person trying to pontificate on the state of art then someone who
*teaches* people (such people don't usually criticize based upon the
premise that some knowledge is *bad* for the student.)

I reviewed a C book about a year ago for A-W which was a total loser,
but boy-o-boy did my crits not sound anything like that (more like "it
is obvious the author has never written a C program and is faking it
from some rudimentary knowledge of some other, undisclosed,
programming language...".) I mean, the examples couldn't work and
the code often used inappropriate control and data structure for the
problem at hand. Not to mention that his explanations were wrong...

If it's A-W you might ask them to ask me to provide another opinion,
but no promises, I teach C here at BU and take it all rather seriously.

Ooops, maybe now I'll hear my flames on this list :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University