Machine readable version of ANSI draft

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Fri Jan 2 12:58:54 AEST 1987

In article <4350 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, Barry Margolin writes:
> In article <1525 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> >  But it appears that technology is not going to save us from
> >brain damaged policies in our standards bureacracy; I guess we'll have
> >to reform the bureacracies instead, which is a lot less fun than building
> >good technologies.
>
> ANSI is basically a publishing house.  Do you know of any other major
> publishing house that would be in favor of you copying their books onto
> the net?  Why is this brain damage?

If ANSI is a publishing house, let's eliminate it and contract to
Prentice-Hall or Doubleday to publish our standards.  They do a better
printing job, bind their books well, and sell them for cheaper.  And
when they publish a book where machine readable copy makes sense,
they make machine readable available (e.g. P-H sells the Xinu tape).  I
wouldn't object to paying $65 to get a tape of the proposed ANSI C
standard, which is what the printed version costs.

The trouble is that ANSI makes the rules for how standards are created,
*in addition to* publishing them.  And they warp the rules, which warps
the standards, so they can make money.  And we get to live with the
resulting standards.  See my .signature below.
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu at ingres.berkeley.edu
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and
  useful ones ... just like Pascal and Fortran.  Are we making progress yet?
	-- ASC:GUTHERY%slb-test.csnet