Reserved words in C

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at ucbcad.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 6 08:01:00 AEST 1987

In article <5476 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> Please note that a conforming implementation is not permitted
> to have any extensions that could alter the behavior of a
> strictly conforming program; one implication of this is that
> non-X3J11 entry points starting with anything other than _ must
> NOT be present in the implementation's standard C library.

If a standard library has a function called 'read' in it, I don't see how
this could alter the *behavior of the program*, although it may cause a
program which would not otherwise compile to compile (i.e, the program
uses a function called 'read' that it doesn't define).  This is assuming
that the the library routines that want to use read call the function _read
instead.  I guess a "strictly conforming" flag would be useful in a
UNIX compiler though...

	Wayne