bytes don't fill words

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Wed Jan 28 16:51:46 AEST 1987

In article <1987Jan26.132911.9733 at sq.uucp> msb at sq.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
># Except for bit-fields, objects are composed of contiguous sequences
># of one or more bytes ...

Sorry if people are getting tired of this, but since I posted the
original incorrect info (now you see why the "not an X3J11 position"
disclaimers!), I would like to limit the damage done:

Yes, all C objects (other than bit-fields) are composed of a
contiguous sequence of bytes, with no bits left over.

I should know this better than anyone, since I'm the proponent of
a clean separation between "byte" and "character".  I can only
explain my earlier lapse as being due to inadequate proof-reading
of my response to RMS (the preparation of which had been interrupted
while I was working on that section) before I sent it out.

I apologize for misleading people.  OBJECTS ARE MADE OF BYTES.
(Except for those &)^^&!$%)&*@ bit-fields.  Can we get rid of bit-fields?)