locales

John Kempf corwin at hope.UUCP
Sun Jan 11 17:46:38 AEST 1987

> While we're on the subject, I have another question.  In German, for
> example, the lower case ess-tset letter has no single character upper
> case equivalent, and is supposed to be mapped into "SS" in upper case.
> (There are other languages with similar mappings.)  What is the toupper
> function supposed to do when presented with an ess-tset?  Wouldn't a
> string-to-string mapping function similar to strupr be more portable?

It has been a while since I last had a german class, but isn't the
ess-tset character equivilant to 'ss' (or was that 'sz')?  Wouldn't it
make more sense to leave the toupper 'function' as is, and create a
different function for local mapping?  or possible have toupper, when
faced with an ess-tset return 'S'?

string to string might be more portable, but it is often more than is
needed.  On this machine (VAX11/750, 4.3BSD) toupper is implemented as a
macro.  If toupper were removed, a lot of code would break, and a lot of
excess overhead would be entailed (function vs. macro).  A string
conversion function might be usefull in addition tho.
--
-cory

'My ancestors are sorry about yours'

UUCP:   ucbvax!ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!corwin
ARPA:   ucdavis!ucrmath!hope!corwin at lll-crg.ARPA