bytes don't fill words

ballou at brahms.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP ballou at brahms.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
Sun Jan 25 09:47:07 AEST 1987

In article <4603 at watmath.UUCP> rbutterworth at watmath.UUCP (Ray Butterworth) writes:
>If it doesn't do so already, the ANSI C standard should explicitly
>state the following:
>
>1) BITS_PER_WORD%BITS_PER_BYTE need not necessarily be 0.

	I don't see how this can be, in view of section 1.5.  The last
sentence of the definition of "byte" reads:

	Except for bit-fields, objects are composed of contiguous
	sequences of one or more bytes, the number, order, and
	encoding of which are implementation-defined.

>3) The behaviour of functions memcmp(), memcpy(), etc. is
>undefined if the two arguments are not pointing at similarly
>aligned data.

	Again, I am missing something here.  Doesn't the
requirement that "It shall be possible to express the address
of each individual byte of an object uniquely" take care of
this?

--------
Kenneth R. Ballou			ARPA:  ballou at brahms.berkeley.edu
Department of Mathematics		UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!brahms!ballou
University of California
Berkeley, California  94720