Long Branches

herndon at umn-cs.UUCP herndon at umn-cs.UUCP
Fri Jan 23 08:30:00 AEST 1987

  The code in question appears to the York Prolog interpreter.
I had exactly the same problem with the interpreter and found
that turning on the optimizer fixed the problem.  I did not
actually examine the assembler code produced.  I often ran
into strange problems with the BSD 4.2 C compiler and didn't
really have time to putz around trying to fix the compiler.
  As I recall, the York interpreter itself had some problems.
Variable lookup was very slow (linear search; not even a hashing
scheme) and the initialization time was long (that I fixed by
'checkpointing' the interpreter after initialization and
constructing an executable binary image of the initialized
interpreter).  The code appeared to be otherwise well written
in strict ISO pascal.
  We later got Cprolog -- York is now (virtually) unused.
It is much faster, has better debugging features, ...

				Robert Herndon
				...!ihnp4!umn-cs!herndon
				herndon at umn-cs.ARPA
				Dept. of Computer Science,