is it really necessary for character values to be positive?

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Mon Jan 12 16:15:36 AEST 1987

In article <293 at haddock.UUCP>, karl at haddock.UUCP (Karl Heuer) writes:
> [Your suggestion] supports my contention that making getchar() an int
> function was a mistake in the first place.**

> **I do have what I think is a better idea, but I'm not going to
> describe it in this posting.

How about in another posting then?

What I normally do is something more like

	char c;					/* yes, char! */
	c = getc(stream);			/* or getchar() if stdin */
	if (feof(stream) || ferror(stream))
	 { ....
	 }

ie, *ignore* the EOF return and check explicitly.

Is this better? worse? than the int c; c=getc(stream); if (c==EOF)
approach?  Why?

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu