Linting Malloc (Was: Re: Need help with pointer to array[][])

guy at gorodish.UUCP guy at gorodish.UUCP
Sat Mar 14 11:31:33 AEST 1987

>	char *malloc();
>	struct condition_rec	*cond;
>
>lint (Pyramid 98X, 3.1 DualOSx, BSD Universe):
>	"warning: possible pointer alignment problem"
>        hasn't.  I  there  a  way  to get lint to pass this, make
>        this "more" portable ...?

No, short of waiting for ANSI C, where there is a "void *" data type for
"generic" pointers, and "malloc" returns a pointer of that type.  Presumably
pointers of this type could be converted to and from pointers of other
types, in implementations that support "void *", without this "lint"
warning.  (Yes, there is still a possible alignment problem, but "lint"
should assume that somebody writing a routine that constructs a "void *"
value and returns it knows this already and has dealt with it.)