Register arguments (was: Order of registers)

Gregory Smith greg at utcsri.UUCP
Sat Mar 14 03:51:51 AEST 1987

In article <902 at cullvax.UUCP> drw at cullvax.UUCP writes:
>Well, reading section 3.5.3.3, 'register' is specifically allowed for
>function arguments, and all other storage class specifiers are
>specifically forbidden.  I presume that this means that it is
>significant in matching, probably so the compiler can pass the
>argument via a register.  Sigh!  Another ambiguity in X3J11.

The same specification (re storage class for func arguments) is made
in K&R Appendix section 10.1, where it means nothing of the sort.

[ I don't have an ANSI draft, but if the above section is your only
support, you must be mistaken ]

I would think it would be up to the implementors of a compiler/load/runtime
environment to make sure that arguments expected in registers are
passed in registers.