X3J11: Why no labelled loops?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Mar 3 07:20:34 AEST 1987

>    Why are labelled loops not supported in ANSI C?  I think the reasoning
> for not including them was something to the effect "they're too much
> like goto's"...

Actually, more probably the reasoning for not including them was "since
nobody has ever implemented this in a C compiler, there is no operational
experience with it *in* *C* to determine how useful it is and whether it
interacts badly with other constructs; since there is no desperate need
for it, the lack of real experience is sufficient reason not to do it".
--
"We must choose: the stars or	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the dust.  Which shall it be?"	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry