Referencing through a null pointer

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sun Apr 24 21:09:50 AEST 1988

In article <4729 at cup.portal.com>, Paul_L_Schauble at cup.portal.com writes:
>Could someone please tell me which machine it was that started the
>unfortunate convention that referencing through the null pointer returns a
>zero with no error? I was under the impression it was BSD Unix, but I'm not
>sure.

PDP-11s with split I&D had a shim at data address zero; I believe the
shim was a zero.  (The shim is necessary to keep the first data object
from having an address that compares equal to NULL.)

I imagine that PDP-11s without split I&D had *(char *)0 == 7 or 8, and
*(short *)0 == 0407 or 0408 (OMAGIC and NMAGIC respectively).

32V Unix had *(int *)0==0.