strcpy

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Fri Apr 8 02:36:04 AEST 1988

In article <7007 at ki4pv.uucp> tanner at ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>The real net effect of the X3J11 "improvement" of strcpy() definitions is
>likely to be that folks need to write their own version in order to be sure
>that something useful is done.

Fine with me.  If people use strcpy() only for non-overlapping areas, and roll
their own when they want to modify a string in place, then at least I can tell
the two apart when I read the code.

>A hundred programmers, each dreaming up his own name for strcpy() ...

Is this any worse than, say, everybody dreaming up his own name for "bool"%?
I suspect this is more common than in-place string shifting.

%among those of us who don't like to overload "int" for this.