Volatile is Necessary

Stan Friesen sarima at gryphon.CTS.COM
Mon Apr 4 07:21:14 AEST 1988

In article <4192 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> nevin1 at ihlpf.UUCP (00704a-Liber,N.J.) writes:

>  'Volatile', however, IS part of the
>language specification.  I consider it to be a 'frill' because nothing else
>in the language specification addresses hardware, per se.

	But 'volatile' does NOT address *hardware*, it addresses asynchronous
change is a value, which *may* be due to hardware, or to the execution of a
logically asynchronous control thread(either a seperate process or a control
thread in a single process such as a signal handler). It is needed often enough
that I think it makes a meaningful addition to the language.