Fortran -vs- C for Numerical Computing

Every system needs one terry at wsccs.UUCP
Thu Apr 28 13:50:22 AEST 1988

In article <2869 at charon.unm.edu>, cn7gr8ag at ariel.unm.edu writes:
> I'm going to be writing a large numerical simulation which will need to
> be used on both mainframe and personal computers.  The program will be
> about 5000 to 8000 lines long and portable.  The basic design of the code
> will be to solve a number of coupled partial differential equations for a
> variety of boundary conditions.

There is a very nice package in LISP called 'REDUCE' (or at least it WAS in
lisp, last time I looked).  I know it runs on VAXen, SAGE (Pronounced 'Stride')
and Sun, among others.  It will solve simultaneous partial differential
equations handily, as well as a number of other intersting gee-gaws.

				terry at wsccs