Modula2's godawful IO.

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 05:00:35 AEST 1988

In article <730 at mhuxm.UUCP> gak at mhuxm.UUCP (Vincent Hatem) writes:
>Besides, the whole idea of the WriteCard()-style I/O system is to remove the
>20K overhead that printf() adds to programs.

Actually, the story I hear is that WriteCard was originally meant
(back when Wirth was developing languages on an old CDC machine)
to punch a card.  Nostalgia being what it is, WriteCard now
prints unsigned integers.

If you'll believe that, you'll also probably believe that Modula-2
is an improvement on Pascal.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi