Fortran -vs- C for Numerical Computing (not really)

Eugene N. Miya eugene at pioneer.arpa
Fri Apr 22 03:11:33 AEST 1988

I don't think this is really a question which LANGUAGE is better.
If you are really in a hurry, and want something portable,
You should check out one of the numerous numeric libraries (most written in
FORTRAN) this includes Dongarra's netlib, the Scientific Recepes book,
and others.  Don't write something (especially, 8000 lines [I don't know
how you get this figure before hand]) when you might be able to get it for free.

This perpetuates FORTRAN, but if you are in a hurry [like the prostitute
says, "They all seem to be.."] this is the way to go.  I should have mailed
this, but I think it offers a lesson on comparisons.

>From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene at ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene