Quote without comment on char constant expansion

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Apr 28 20:06:11 AEST 1988

[various depths of quoting deleted]
In article <11056 at mimsy.UUCP> I wrote
>perhaps there should be a `charize' operator.

(Please note that this is someone else's argument; I am not claiming
it as my own.  After all the trimming this became unclear.  For one
thing, I would probably not call it `charize': `stringize' is an ugly
word, and `charize' is worse.  Ah, aesthetics. :-) )

In article <18523 at watmath.waterloo.edu> rbutterworth at watmath.waterloo.edu
(Ray Butterworth) writes:
>Better yet, if some future version of the Standard decides that
>a "charize" operator would be a good thing, what on Earth are they
>going to call it?  ### ?

>Why did the committee come up with such a limited and non-obvious
>naming scheme for the preprocessor operators?

In fact, there was a proposal for a more rational scheme, similar
to either your `renamed' or `resyntaxed' versions---I have forgotten
the details---but it got bogged down somehow, and eventually vanished.
A minor tragedy, to be sure, but, I think, a tragedy nonetheless.