Implementation-DEPENDENT code (was:strcpy)

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Thu Apr 14 07:55:35 AEST 1988

In article <6670 at bellcore.bellcore.com>, sjs at spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
> I think a few observations can be made about this "tempest-in-a-teapot"
>
>   1) Some (most, possibly all) implementations DO implement strcpy
>      left-to-right.   (prior-art)

Nope.  Practically all VAX implementations use the VAX MOVC3 instruction which
moves EITHER left-to-right OR right-to-left, whichever is needed to get the
"right" answer (an intact copy).

> Perhaps the Committee has forgotton its charter?

No, not so far as I know - it seems to be brought up in committee meetings
almost as often an it's brought up on the net.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                MAIL: 2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH  45150
                                    AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"When all else fails, read the directions."