Quote without comment on char constant expansion

Rob McMahon cudcv at daisy.warwick.ac.uk
Sun Apr 17 00:01:43 AEST 1988

In article <7683 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <11056 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>perhaps there should be a `charize' operator.
>
>It's been voted down (back when we hadn't settled on # and ## yet).
>There has been a comment that &"..." should be allowed in constant
>expressions.

Maybe now that # & ## have been settled on, it's time for another vote ?
It seems it ought to be there just for consistency, and it would provide
a much cleaner solution than this #c[0] as a constant (is that right ?).
Out of interest, what were the arguments against it ?

Rob

--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick.cu          ARPA:   cudcv at cu.warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England