asymmetric layout

Eddie Wyatt edw at IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU
Tue Apr 5 06:48:53 AEST 1988

> No!  To my eyes the divorcing of the lh & rh make it *much* harder to read.
> But for g*d's sake - why did you start another style war?

    newtoken[IATLOCAL].Aival    = FALSE;
    newtoken[IATTYPE].Aival     = ttype;
    newtoken[IATID].Aival       = generate_tokenid();
    newtoken[IATITIME].Aival    = NULLINT;
    newtoken[IATMTIME].Aival    = NULLINT;
    newtoken[IATCREATOR].Aival  = NULLINT;

Still having problems reading it?  Rewrite the optional way and see if you
still hold the same opinion.

> Who cares what *you* find easier to read?
> Who cares what *I* find easier to read?
> Who cares what *(s)he* finds easier to read?

  I care on all counts! I care if the person that may end up maintaining
my code finds it easier to read or not.  Code format is an important issue.
As an example, (I just love example - all of you out there should know that
by now :-) the code segment:

void add_3_by_3(m1,m2,a)register float *m1,*m2,*a;{register int size=9;if(a==m1)while(--size>=0)*a+++= *m2++;else if(a==m2)while(--size>=0)*a+++= *m1++;else while(--size>=0)*a++ = *m2+++*m1++;}

is illegable. I know that this is an extreme but it does show that format
counts.

> Never the twain shall meet - guaranteed, and it doesn't matter!

  And therefore you also draw the conclusion that you should
never try to understand the differences, particular to this case,
why people might not like that format.  The overall philosophy you
seem to be applying here does not agree with me at all.  I want to know
PERIOD.

   Aside: generally the feedback I had gotten was unfavorable.  However, I'm
still apply the technique since *I* really think it helps.

> PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF THAT HUGE CODE SEGMENT!

   You know where the 'n' key is don't you?   Well use it.

Eddie Wyatt 				e-mail: edw at ius1.cs.cmu.edu