cdecl keyword

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Apr 3 03:14:56 AEST 1988

In article <4259 at cup.portal.com> Devin_E_Ben-Hur at cup.portal.com writes:
>  Please don't be so quick to flame extensions that you don't understand.

Oh, I understand it all right.  But it is a botch.  cdecl acts as a
kuldge to counteract a more global kludge, rather than solving the
inter-language linkage problem directly at the interfaces involved.
The very fact that you have to declare that the C source code is
intended to follow C rules and not some other rules is ludicrous.

>The MS-DOS/80x86 environment is not pretty.

One of the reasons for this is that instead of devising elegant, clean
solutions to some of the genuine problems, instead ill-advised kludges
have been foisted off on the programming public.  There are other
segmented architectures that have not turned into such a morass of
incompatible conventions; some support inter-language linkage.  The
80x86 world has no excuse for the mess it has gotten itself into.