Whaddinell is noalias anyway

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 23:18:10 AEST 1988

I have been watching the warm (i.e. heated) discussion regarding
the noalias / volatile debates, however before I throw in my $0.02 worth
could someone explain what noalias does. I gather that volatile tells
the compiler that a variable can be modified asynchronously (e.g. in
an interrupt handler routine, or the variable is in fact an I/O
port), which depending on your point of view (religion, choice of
text editor :-) may or may not be a good thing. So what does noalias
do?

(So go on - Flame me for my ignorance, I want to test our new fire
extinguisher system :-) :-)
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+