A tale of two C's.

Walter Bright bright at Data-IO.COM
Fri Apr 29 03:33:50 AEST 1988

In article <10604 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
<  My desire is to replace print with something which doesn't take up a
<lot of space for F.P. routines if I will call it only with integers.
<Suggestions to the contrary, this would reduce the size of the program,
<  I just renamed my routine and use a
<	#define print my_print
<to generate the calls. This leaves the code easily portable.

The technique I use is to:
	o Make the floating point formatting portion of printf() an internal
	  function call in a separate file.
	o Collect all the names of floating point functions, such as
	  ecvt(), atof(), _dblmul(), etc.
	o Define all these names in a new module called intonly.c, and have
	  them all resolve to a function which prints an error message and
	  exits.
	o Therefore, when linking, including intonly.obj in the object list
	  will produce an integer-only program without the overhead of all
	  those floating point routines.