No gotos in Bourne shell

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Wed Apr 20 17:27:31 AEST 1988

> ... it is "amusing" to "note" that the
> Bourne shell supports `break n'...

Now, quickly, name three people who've ever actually used it.  Certainly
we haven't, and we've got thousands of lines of shell applications.

> It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
> has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.

If you consider marketing success a sign of technical merit, I trust you are
using an ASR33 connected to a VAX 730 running VMS on RL01 disks to write
assembler code for an IBM PC running MSDOS? ;-)
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry